Friday, March 1, 2013

Glory Mirrors

We are all to follow Christ.  That is our call.  That is our life.  It is nothing other than a single-minded devotion to follow, love, be discipled to, and become like Jesus.  It is nothing other than to please him.

All the things of this life are material for obedience to our Lord.  Nothing is an end in itself, except for Christ.  Everything exists for him.  He does not exist for the sake of anything else.  He simply is... he says, I am. 

Therefore, all of our relationships and all our stages of life are meant to draw us closer into this most important relationship.  My time as a child is meant to bring him glory.  My time as a student is meant to bring him glory.  My time as a married man is meant to bring him glory.  My time as a teacher is meant to bring him glory.  My time as a retired man is meant to bring him glory.  All for his glory. 

My relationship with my wife is meant to bring him glory.  My relationship with my boss is meant to bring him glory.  My relationship with my parents is meant to bring him glory.  My relationship with the lost around me is meant to bring him glory. 

I cannot add to God's glory.  He is infinite and in no way dependent on man.  My attempt to add to his glory would be like a lunatic shining a flashlight up to the full moon, thinking that it will shine brighter than the sun has already made it shine.  I am puny. 

While I cannot add to God's glory, I can enjoy him by reflecting it.  God created us to be mirrors.  The events and people and circumstances of my life each serve to clear or to muddy up my mirror.  God wants a world ablaze with his light, reflecting all over the place.  I want to be a part of that.  By his grace, I get to be a part of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment